Got 5 Minutes?
E-Action: Participate in an action alert to protect our coast.
Got 1 Hour?
Send Comments: Following a specific issue and want to send comments?
Got a Day?
Attend a Coastal Commission Hearing
California Coastal Commission (CCC)
- Find the meeting dates and location here
- Find the issue on the Coastal Commission agenda here
- Read how to effectively participate below in our Participation Guide.
- Official Commission rules and procedures are here
Meeting Participation Guide
Time: Commission meetings usually start at 8:30am. The Commission takes “general public comment” in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon. Carefully analyze the agenda for items that interest you.
Check In: When you arrive, locate CCC tables outside of the hearing room. If you want to testify, obtain a ‘speaker slip’ from CCC staff; fill out slip and then take it inside the hearing room and give slip to CCC Staff.
- When inside the hearing room, please whisper and be quiet.
- Turn off cell phones.
- When coming into hearing room, shut the door quietly.
- You can hold up signs, but be mindful of people sitting behind you.
- Avoid making noises.
- Please avoid clapping after each speaker, even if you support what they are saying – it will help the meeting moves more quickly
Speaking Before the Commission:
- When speaking say your name, your hometown, who you are, and any ocean related activities you enjoy (e.g. a parent/grandparent, recreational diver, surfer, etc).
- Have a polite and positive tone–the Commission will be more receptive to your message.
- Use a personal story or connection. Public speeches are always more effective if you speak from your heart.
- Use very concise words–pick 2-3 points you want to articulate.
- If you are part of a larger group, you will want to appoint one person that can speak for your whole group.
- You will be limited to 3 minutes (sometimes less) to speak; so be prepared to speak for a short amount of time.